6 tablespoons butter, softened
½ cup molasses
½ cup sugar
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
¾ cup boiling water
6 ounces Neuchâtel cheese
1 tablespoon skim milk
¼ cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Heat oven to 375°. Lightly coat an 8" x 8" or 9" x 13" baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place butter and molasses in a large mixing bowl and mix on medium until fluffy.
- Add egg, mixing well. Slowly add sugar, mixing constantly.
- Combine and sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, and salt into a separate bowl.
- Add flour mixture to the creamed butter, alternating with the hot water, scraping the bowl with each addition.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake 20-25 min. or until center springs back when lightly touched. Cool on rack.
Icing – beat cream cheese on medium in a large bowl, until fluffy. Add milk; mix to combine. Slowly add sugar, mixing constantly. Add all remaining ingredients. Remove cooled cake to serving platter. Frost the top only with icing.