9 tablespoons butter
1 ½ cups golden syrup
2 cups +2 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 ¾ teaspoons baking soda
1 tablespoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg, beaten
1 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. Butter a nine-inch round pan, and lined with parchment paper.
- Melt butter with golden syrup.
- Sift flour and other dry ingredients into a bowl.
- Pour the syrup mixture onto the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Add egg and milk. Beat well. The batter will be very liquid.
- Pour into the pan, bake for 50-55 min. The middle should be just set, with the edge pulling away from the pan, and a tester pulling out a few crumbs.
- Cool for 10 min. on wire rack; turn out of pan.